Saturday 6 March 2010

Lord Snowdon: 'Taking photographs is a very nasty thing to do' - Telegraph

Most photographers try to establish a rapport with their subjects. Lord Snowdon prefers to let them stew a bit. “I’m not a great one for chatting people up because it’s phoney,” he says. “I don’t want people to feel at ease. You want a bit of edge. There are quite long, agonised silences. I love it. Something strange might happen. I mean, taking photographs is a very nasty thing to do. It’s very cruel.”

Photographs, he says, are not worth framing and hanging on the wall. “I don’t like photographs. They’re all right for pinning up.” Apart from family snaps, the only two portraits from a career spanning 60 years that confirmed him as one of the 20th century’s most innovative photographers, are dimly hung in a long narrow corridor leading to his studio.

Continues

Lord Snowdon: 'Taking photographs is a very nasty thing to do' - Telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment